Question

"Oh mija, a boy already?" A joyful expression sung on your mothers face. "And a Madrigal? Tell me everything!"

You groaned in response. "Aye, cut it out, mamá. It was an invitation to a village-wide event, nothing exclusive!" You picked up stray dishes and handed them to your mother as you spoke.

"Okay okay, Y/N..." Your mother delayed her sentence. "We're still dressing you to impress, though," she muttered as she turned the sink on.

You raised a finger in protest, but only ended up releasing a sigh, knowing nothing you said could change your mother's mind.

You were right.

As darkness fell, there you stood in a line of people, coming up to the marvelous and magical Casa Madrigal. Your mother had put you in a loose and lengthy traditional dress. You couldn't remain annoyed, as you secretly admired the way it fit you. It was purely white, with lines of yellow frills complimenting the base.

As you approached the Casa, straightening out your dress, you found your eyes wandering away from the jovial families and candlelight, looking for something.

Stop.

You didn't want to be looking for him. You were more keen on playing it cool.

If I see him I see him, if I don't then it doesn't matter... right?

As if the world had heard your thoughts, you faintly heard a familiar voice.

"Cecilia, up top!"

There he was, zestfully greeting every guest. He remembered them all by name.

You considered changing your path, but it was too late. Your mother was ushering you all in, eager to get inside. 

Camilo's eyes flashed in your direction. A playfully smug look took over his expression when he saw you. He took it upon himself to walk over and greet your family.

"Hola, glad to see some new face's around here," he said to your mother, before turning his gaze towards you. He gave you a side-eyed wink. You froze.

Camilo showed your mother and Gabriel in through the crowd. As you tried to pass, he gently stuck his arm out in front of you.

"Where are you off to so soon, sinsonte?" Camilo asked, stopping you in front of the entrance.

That nickname seemed to cling to the air. "I have a name, camaleón (chameleon). Will you let me through?" 

Camilo hesitated, looking off to the side. "Mmm, you know, I just feel like we don't quite know each other well enough yet." He broke off his sentence and started up again with a grin. "Although, that's open to change."

You took a deep inhale, knowing this wasn't going to get anywhere unless you played along. "Hit me." 

"Let's see..." Camilo shuffled through his head, trying to put together a common question. "Where are you from?"

You felt a tug, tightening around your heart. It was still so fresh. You came to Encanto to escape your home, not continue to live in it. A stern look made its way to your face.

"Colombia." You immediately began walking towards the Casa, just to be stopped by Camilo's arm once again.

"Woah easy, easy," he said as he lightly pressed you back to where you were. "Not so fast señorita." 

"Technically speaking, I answered your question," you responded in an objection.

"Well, technically speaking, I'm the one who's going to let you through." There was that same, puffed up smile of his. You shook your head at him.

"You are a handful, Camilo Madrigal." 

"So I'm told." He jokingly bowed along with his statement.

You took a few moments, considering telling him. You exhaled the breath you didn't know you were holding. 

"Salento," you quickly muttered.

"Salento?" Camilo's face morphed into a look of un-expectance.

"Sí." 

Camilo's mouth opened, about to say something else. You quickly intervened, not wanting to get a bombardment of new questions. "Now, now. I have answered the question to your liking, haven't I?"

Camilo's mouth remained open, his arm still up. You both stood facing each other, your own illusion looking into each other's eyes. For but a moment, it was as if no one else was there.

He decided not to continue on and closed his mouth, lowering his arm with it.

"Gracias," you said before the tiles underneath your feet began to nudge you towards the entrance.

Although he let you pass, you felt his gaze trailing along as you walked farther away. You knew that would not be the last time you saw him tonight.