Learn

As you heard the click of a fitting key turning in its lock, you closed your eyes, your mind flooding. Click.

TW: Mentions of abuse.

"W-what?" You heard Camilo's voice enter a state of confusion.

You slowly opened your eyes with hesitance, focusing your gaze on Camilo holding up the lockbox. It was as if he was trying to fit himself into it with the amount he was searching.

"What is it?" You asked, the hint of a tremble to your voice.

He turned the open box to face you. "Nothing. Literally, nothing."

Your face quickly shot from dread to mirroring Camilo's confused expression.

"Nothing?" You took the box from his hands. "I don't understand..."

Camilo shrugged. "Maybe it was just some of Benjamín's personal belongings," he hesitated, "in case of a... raid or something, I don't know."

You furrowed your brows, looking up at him. "My mother had the key, Camilo."

"Oh, right," he replied, putting his hand behind his head. "Forgot about that part."

You sat back from your kneel into a full criss-cross position, putting your head into your hands as you rubbed your temple. You let out a light groan, one that portrayed your want to scream at the top of your lungs, but the knowing that you couldn't.

Don't cry.

"Y/N?" Camilo's gentle tone came back once again. "What's really going on?"

You slowly raised your head from your hands, as if you were scared to face him. 

"I..." You paused, looking around the room. "I don't want to be in here right now."

"We don't have to be," he quickly answered. "Come."

Camilo swiftly brought himself to his feet, dusting off his ruana as he extended his hand out towards you. You stared his hand down, frozen in place. He nudged it closer to you.

You accepted the invitation to stand along with him as you clasped your hand into his, pulling you up. 

Camilo began making his way to the window and onto the ledge once more.

"Where exactly are we going?" You asked, quickly rubbing the underside of your nose with your pointer finger.

"Follow me and you'll find out," he replied with a grin. "I won't drop you this time."

With a raised eyebrow, you followed Camilo out to the ledge. You watched as he jumped up in the air, transforming into a taller man once again and taking hold of the gutter on the side of the roof. He brought himself up onto the roof, turning back around to hold his hand out to you.

Your eyes widened. "You want me to jump? Really?" 

He promptly nodded. "I'll grab you, promise," he said through a chuckle. "Besides, can't you fly anyway, sinsonte?"

While Camilo was good at getting on your nerves, you couldn't help but smile. You knew he only wanted to help, and he was.

You fixed your gaze on him as you flattened your footing, preparing to jump up.

You felt the grip of his hand as you held onto his arm, being pulled up onto the roof with him.

You began to make your way to the peak of the roof, where there was a small, flat beam. When you sat down and caught your breath, you were suddenly amazed.