Follow Your Heart

All that was left was to figure out one thing: Where were you?

Camilo's POV

"You sure you want to risk it, Mira?" Camilo asked half jokingly, genuine concern emanating from his tone.

"You are, so why can't I?" Mirabel replied, swinging her brown embroidered bag over her shoulder and putting a hand to her hip.

"Yeah, but I'm older," Camilo jested, mocking her as he put a hand to his hip as well.

Mirabel rolled her eyes, resting a hand on the shoulder strap of her bag and turning around to Gabriel.

"Hey, bud, Camilo and I are just gonna step out for a bit," Mirabel said in the softest way she could. "If anyone asks, please don't tell them we left."

Gabriel blinked at Mirabel, looking past her at Camilo, then back at her.

"What do I say?"

"Uhh," Mirabel looked back to her cousin for some direction. Camilo quickly stepped in, putting his hands on his knees to reach Gabriel's level.

"It's simple, hombrecito, just say you don't know!" Camilo directed amusingly with a shrug.

Gabriel let out a giggle before returning a fist-bump that Camilo had initiated.

"I'm used to being told to do that," replied Gabriel.

Mirabel and Camilo paused, their words escaping them as the weight of Gabriel's words hit the room.

"Alright," Mirabel said through a sad chuckle. "Go find Dolores and Antonio," she urged as she and Camilo made it towards the window.

Gabriel gave a small nod before hopping off of the bed exiting the nursery.

When the door was officially closed, Camilo and Mirabel hastily made their way out of the window and onto the casita roof.

"Casita? Do you mind?" Camilo asked, gesturing his words towards needing an aid off of the roof.

Mirabel made a clicking noise through her teeth.

"Casita's burnt out," she dismally explained. "The cracks last night did the trick for that. We're going to have to get down ourselves."

Camilo raised an eyebrow, looking over the edge.

"How do we do th-"

He was interrupted by the sight of Mirabel jumping off with no hesitation, landing in an... almost graceful roll.

She shook her hair out and looked up at him.

"Just jump!"

Camilo huffed in disbelief as he took a step back, bracing himself for the coming attempt to copy Mirabel's landing.

He lightly bounded forward, jumping off.

As he intended to shift into a taller man to get a better landing, he instead shifted into a baby.

Mirabel dove to catch him as he came hurdling towards the ground, crash landing straight into her arms.

"What was that?" Mirabel asked, her eyes wide in an amused-shock.

"I don't know, I didn't even mean to do that," Camilo said frantically as he shifted back into himself. "It was like I had no control for a second."

Mirabel's amused look fell.

"Do you think something's happening to the candle?" Mirabel questioned, her brows furrowed and her face sunken. 

Camilo hesitated.